How to Know If Your Pet Was Exposed to Poison

Pet Was Exposed to Poison

Hillview Veterinary Clinic treats many pets in Reynoldsburg, OH, some of which may have been exposed to toxic items. How can you tell if your pet was exposed to poison? It's not as easy as you might think. These signs will help you identify that your pet needs to visit the emergency animal hospital.


If you notice your pet vomiting, this is one of the first signs that something is wrong. Of course, vomiting can signify different things, but if other symptoms accompany it on this list, your pet has likely been poisoned.


Like vomiting, diarrhea is another common symptom of poisoning. If your pet has diarrhea, monitor the hydration levels and contact your veterinarian if the diarrhea is severe or lasts longer than a day.


If your pet is usually active but suddenly becomes lethargic, this is a cause for concern. For example, you might break out your pet's favorite toy or treat and ignore you. This behavior change can signal your pet isn't feeling well.

Loss of Appetite

If your pet doesn't want to eat their food or is uninterested in treats, this can be a sign of poisoning. A loss of appetite is often one of the first signs that something is wrong.

Excessive Thirst or Urination

Is your pet drinking a lot more water? Dehydration can be a sign of poisoning, as toxins can cause dehydration. Our veterinarian will assess your pet's hydration level.

Call the Emergency Animal Hospital

If you notice these signs, seek emergency veterinary care immediately. Hillview Veterinary Clinic serves the pets and pet owners of Reynoldsburg, OH. Call our clinic if your pet needs to see our veterinarian at (614) 866-2290.


Office Hours

Practice Hours


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-4:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-5:00 pm


8:00 am-2:00 pm


3:00 pm - 4:00 pm (Kennel Only)