Pet Safety for Valentine’s Day
Romance is in the air as Valentine’s Day approaches—keep it that way by avoiding a trip to your Reynoldsburg veterinarian’s office with your pet! Use these tips to keep your animals safe this holiday.
Chocolate treats of all kinds abound on Valentine’s Day, and a stray chocolate morsel could easily find its way into the mouth of your pet. As most pet owners know, chocolate is poisonous to pets, so keep all treats away from your furry companion. Put them in sealed plastic bags inside locked cabinets so there’s no chance of your pet sneaking a bite.
Skip the Treats
Chocolate isn’t the only danger this holiday—candies, gum, and baked goods are often sweetened with Xylitol, an artificial sugar substitute that is toxic to pets. Even a few sticks of gum can poison a small dog or a cat, so keep all xylitol-sweetened treats—and other sugary substances—far out of your pet’s reach.
Roses, while not necessarily poisonous, could cause upset stomach if a lot are ingested. What’s more, the unclipped variety contains thorns that present a cutting or puncturing hazard to wandering pets. Lilies are poisonous to cats, and should be kept out of the home. Even poinsettia plants are toxic if enough are ingested. Talk to your Reynoldsburg vet about all the potential plant hazards in your home and how to avoid poisoning.
Candles are great for setting a romantic mood, but they can get knocked over by a careless pet. An animal’s paw or tail could even swipe through an open flame, causing a burn. Keep your pet out of rooms with lit candles so there’s no chance of an accident.
Watch Your Cocktails
Pets might like to sip up spilled alcoholic beverages, but even small amounts of alcohol can wreak havoc on a pet’s body systems. Clean up spilled wine, beer, liquor, or champagne immediately, and keep an eye on your drinks while celebrating.