Accessibility View Close toolbar

Dangerous Foods for Our Animal Friends

Plenty of human foods aren’t good for our animal companions—with the holidays in full swing, you’re likely to be serving some of them on your dinner table! Make sure your beloved pet doesn’t get their paws on anything harmful. Below, your Pickerington, OH vet tells you more.

Chocolate and Sweets

Chocolate and sweet treats are big no-no’s for our four-legged companions. Chocolate of all types—milk, dark, semi-sweet, baking chocolate, white chocolate, etc.—contains caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that don’t agree with animals. Candies and certain baked pastry items are sometimes sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar that can prove toxic to pets. If you’re serving anything sweet for holiday guests, make sure that your pet can’t gain access.

Alcoholic Beverages

Will your holiday festivities include adult beverages? Remember that alcohol is a very dangerous pet poison. It turns out that alcohol affects pets just like it affects humans. The difference is that very small amounts can cause symptoms like lethargy, uncoordinated movements, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse. Keep a sharp eye on all drinks to make sure Fido or Fluffy doesn’t imbibe.

Garlic and Onions

Garlic, onions, chives, leeks, scallions, and shallots are all members of the allium species of food, and they’re all dangerous for pets. These sorts of foods can cause serious health problems if a pet ingests too much, so it’s imperative that you restrict your pet’s access to all onion-related foods and dishes that are made with them.

Grapes and Raisins

Our canine friends are the pets most commonly affected by grape and raisin poisoning, but this may be due to dogs’ tendency to gobble up whatever might present itself. Grapes and raisins have been known to cause poisoning in both dogs and cats, so use caution if you’re serving a fruit tray this holiday season. Also beware of any fruits that contain seeds or pits, which you don’t want your pet swallowing.

Rich and Fatty Foods

Rich, buttery, or fatty foods aren’t necessarily poisonous, but they can prove harmful nonetheless. Too much rich food will undoubtedly cause stomach upset or vomiting, and too much fat at once can even lead to a life-threatening case of acute pancreatitis! Don’t let any guests slip your pet fatty table scraps without your permission.

Does your pet need veterinary care? Do you have further questions about keeping your companion safe? Call your Pickerington, OH animal hospital today.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Practice Hours

Monday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-4:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-2:00 pm

Sunday:

3:00 pm - 4:00 pm (Kennel Only)