Accessibility View Close toolbar

Autumn Hazards for Pets

Are you enjoying the fall weather? We are! Our four-legged friends also enjoy the change of seasons, especially after a long, hot summer. Autumn does present some specific dangers for dogs and cats, however, so pet parents may want to take some extra precautions at this time of year. Below, a Pickerington, OH vet lists some fall hazards for pets.

Chemicals

Many people apply lawn and garden products, like fertilizer and herbicides, in autumn. This is also a popular time of year for people to fill their cars with antifreeze. These things are extremely toxic to pets! Don’t let your furry pal explore areas that have recently been treated. If you have an antifreeze spill, clean it up immediately, and cover the damp spot with sand or kitty litter.

Weather

Weather can change very quickly in fall. Your pet will appreciate having a warm, comfy bed to snuggle up in. Pooches with thin fur may need doggy clothes to keep them warm. If you have a cat, and you let Fluffy go outdoors, make sure she has a good emergency shelter.

Grumpy Wildlife

In autumn, many wild animals are preparing to hibernate, and may be crankier—and therefore more aggressive—than usual. Don’t let your furry friend roam around in wooded areas!

Fall Decorations

Autumn decorations have a lovely, whimsical feel, but they can be hazardous. Plastic items; wires and cords; dangling threads; and even candles can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Place decorative items in high, secure places, well out of paws’ reach.

Seasonal Foods

Many of those yummy seasonal candies and dishes are poisonous to pets. Halloween candies and treats often contain nuts, chocolate, or xylitol, which are all toxic to our furry buddies. Hard candies and candy wrappers are also problematic, because it’s very easy for dogs and cats to choke on them. Also, avoid giving your furbaby bones; garlic or onions; grapes, currants, and raisins; pitted fruits; and raw dough or meat. Ask your vet for more information.

Vegetation

Many late-blooming flowers, such as chrysanthemums and dahlias, are toxic to pets. Mushrooms are another concern: many of them are very poisonous! Leaf piles can also endanger our animal friends, as they can quickly grow harmful mold and bacteria.

Please contact us, your Pickerington, OH pet clinic, with any questions about your pet’s health or care. We’re here to help!

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Practice Hours

Monday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-4:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-7:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-2:00 pm

Sunday:

3:00 pm - 4:00 pm (Kennel Only)